Bay Area, CA
This is a senior sales engineer position, supporting sales and managing all technical aspects of the sales cycle.
The Sales Engineer is responsible for all technical aspects of the sales cycle, including customer satisfaction and understanding all technical aspects of the product. Typical responsibilities will include: architectural presentations, in depth technical demonstrations, on site and remote software installations, POCs (proof of concepts), and troubleshooting client’s technical issues.
The sales cycle is approximately 120+ days from start to finish. The majority of sales and sales support will be done via phone and web meetings. This role includes approximately 30% travel to prospects/customers, marketing events and attending various functions.
Collaborate with sales team to provide sales support
- Understand customer requirements and explain how Jethro addresses them
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations describing Jethro’s solutions and positioning against alternatives
- Help secure sales
Manage customer POCs
- Work with customers to plan POC requirements, resources, timeline and success criteria
- Manage POC progress, ensuring successful completion
Provide technical assistance
- Solve technical problems customers encounter during POC and after purchase
- Troubleshoot, provide workarounds, pinpoint issues for R&D
Become an expert on the market and Jethro’s products
- Help improve the product by collecting customer requirements
- Produce technical marketing materials through blog posts, tutorials, white papers, etc.
- Record activity, POC progress, maintain data quality in our customer relationship management system (SFDC) and our marketing automation system (Hubspot) as applicable
- At least 4 years as a software SE selling enterprise data warehouse (EDW)/Hadoop/database solutions
- Experience giving presentations and hands on demonstrations
- Sales commission based comp plan
- Deep knowledge of SQL and query optimization
- Experience with analytical DBMS such as Teradata, Netezza, Vertica, Greenplum, Exadata, etc.
- Experience with Hadoop SQL engines such as Hive, Impala, Presto
- Working knowledge of Hadoop ecosystem
- Working knowledge of BI tools such as Tableau
- Hands on experience with Linux admin, scripting, etc.
- BA/BS Education – business / computer science related degree preferred
- Ability to present to high level executives, as well as highly technical content
- Strong sales skills –identify opportunities and potential threats to the sales cycle
- Juggle multiple accounts and tasks in parallel
- Responsive and organized
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong phone skills
- Enthusiastic, outgoing, challenge driven, able to put in long hours as required and to produce results and new business; passionate about being successful in the role
- Pleasanton, CA (walking distance from the BART train) potentially moving to San Francisco later in the year
- Compensation is a combination of base salary plus commissions related to components such as: closed revenue, number of new customers, and number of POCs
- Competitive compensation and equity relative to industry and previous earnings history; candidate will provide last 3 years of earnings history